Copper Center, Alaska, is along the Richardson Highway about 100 miles from Valdez. It is on the west bank of the Copper River at the confluence of the Klutina River, just west of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.
Center, with a population of about 370 people, has long, cold winters
and relatively warm summers. Temperature extremes have been recorded
from minus 74 to 96. Snowfall averages 39 inches, with total
precipitation of 9 inches per year.
federally recognized tribe is located in the community: Native Village
of Kluti-Kaah. Half of the population are Alaska Native or part Native.
Center became the principal supply center for miners in the
Nelchina-Susitna region. A telegraph station and post office were
established in 1901. A school was constructed in 1905, which brought a
number of Native families to Copper Center. In 1909, the settlement was
designated a government agricultural experiment
Copper Center developed where
the Valdez Glacier trail reached the Copper River. Andrew Holman was
its first resident, establishing a temporary roadhouse near the site in
July 1898 to provide shelter for prospectors on their way to the
Klondike. He initially erected two tents: one served as Hotel Holman
and the other as a makeshift post office. By winter 1899, Holman had
replaced his tents with a substantial cabin. Leaving Dick Worthman to
run the roadhouse, Holman pioneered the first mail route from Valdez to